Monday, September 22, 2008

Craters

We dropped stuff in flour the other day to see what kinds of craters it would make. It was part of finishing up our unit on Mercury.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Popcorn was not a real success and I wouldn't let them throw the giant rock at my well seasoned Pampered Chef bar pan hard enough to do anything spectacular. But we did see a few cool looking craters.
We've already started (an almost finished) Venus. I see us making a volcano in the near future!
I made (for the 3rd time) some nobake cookies tonight. They're to take to skating tomorrow. These are very addictive!! I'm going to put the recipe here so I won't loose it.
Butterscotch No Bake Cookies
Ingredients:
4 ounces butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1 cup semisweet butterscotch chips
3 to 4 tablespoons peanut butter, optional (use the peanut butter, I emplore you)
3 cups oats, quick or old-fashioned
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation:
Place chocolate chips, peanut butter (if used), oats, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine the margarine, milk, and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Combine the hot mixture with the oatmeal and chocolate chip mixture; stir well. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
More No Bake Cookies
--------------------------------------
Do you know how excited my boys would be if they knew I had to write about Ferrari parts today? Oh. My. Goodness. They LOVE Ferraris!!
--------------------------------------

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! We love (!) no bakes at our house. I've never thought of using butterscotch! I'll have to give these a go... ;-)

Tina said...

Hi sounds like you had a fun unit study! I love no bakes and will have to try your recipe!

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

the cookies were great, the best thing there today, by far! thanks!
How did you get them to stay in those neat little circles? My no bake cookies always spread out into an ugly lump.

crystal said...

I dunno. I guess it's just thick. All three times that I've made this recipe now, it's come out that way. I used my medium Pampered Chef scoop. I love that thing!! I use it every time I make cookies. It makes such nice even portions and I don't have to use my finger to get the stuff off the spoon!
It's fast becoming one of my favorite things to make. It takes like 5 minutes! They are better if you make them the day before tho, when they first set up after you make them, the oatmeal is still kind of "oatmeally".