Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tuesday Highlights

  • Paragraphs
  • The Handmaid's Tale and Netflix

Today I had T2 do the reading practice for the West Virginia Westest. Part of the test involves writing a paragraph stating 3 ways the 2 parts of the story conflict and agree. The child just cannot articulate himself. I know... he's 9 but wow.... it was really bad. It's definitely something we need to work on. That's a homeschool bonus though don't ya know! We CAN work on it,, we don't have to rush along because the lesson plan says so.

I think I mentioned that I read "The Handmaid's Tale" last week. Great book. I pushed the movie to the top of my netflix cue. I heart netflix, I really really do. I mean, I hardly EVER watch television anymore. I probably haven't turned on the TV on purpose since the last new episode of Lost was on. That was what? May?

Anyway.... back to Netflix and my movie. (speaking of not being able to construct a cohesive paragraph) I'm more of a documentary kinda gal. Netflix is chock full of 'em. My most recent fav is the Natural History of the Chicken. It's a PBS documentary. Watch it, you won't be sorry.

Ok, so someone grind up an Adderal in my hot chocolate would ya? The MOVIE. Good flick. A wee bit cheesy but entertaining because I'd read the book. I'm not sure people who haven't read the book would enjoy the movie. It's also a wee bit graphic, be forewarned. There is lady bits and sex acts. I think it would make a KILLER movie if they redid it today. I liked the way the movie ended better than how the book ended but I liked a lot of the foreshadowing and the details that the book had. The book was a weak 9/10 and the movie rated a solid 7/10.

Deeper still, the book has many feminist undertones but not so much that it ruins the storyline for me. I rather liked it. It is a dystopian setting which if you know me at all you know I'm drawn to. It's the paranoia. (waves at the black helicopter) The speculation about the fundamentalist totalitarianism was also very intriguing to me. It's a quick read. If you like to read a freaky book, pick this one up! It's back at the Barboursville Library now!

Tomorrow is Science Club and house cleaning. Yay!

No comments: