Saturday, April 19, 2008

New River Gorge



We took a road trip (probably one of our last) to New River Gorge today. The weather threatened but never really followed through. I'm glad it wasn't 80 degrees, I most definitely would have been miserable. It was more hiking than this old fat bod is used to! ha ha.
Fayette County is a juxtaposition of beauty and squalor ridden poverty. It saddens me. This is a nationally protected state park/river area and undeniably one of the most beautiful places in the entire country. To go from awe inspiring wonder to repulsion and embarrassment from the trash and filth is just a shame.
We had a good time though. The bridge (of "Bridge Day" fame) is impossible to take a bad picture of. I took the above picture, it's not a postcard! I flatter myself, no?
After coming down from the scenic overlook, we stopped off at the side of the road to hike out into the river. It was not a trail for the faint of heart but we did ok!
It was so rocky in that part that we were able to climb right out in the middle of the river! How cool is that? There are many random waterfalls along the side of the road on Rt. 16. We couldn't resist stopping and getting our feet wet!

We also stopped at Hawks Nest. That's a nice stop too.


Somehow I managed not to get a decent picture of Hawk's Nest but I don't think I could have taken a prettier one than I found at Amanda Haddox's website.

I'll try and write more tomorrow but tonight? I'm beat. Have a great weekend all!

--------------------------------------

I wish I'd had some Dansko shoes on today!

--------------------------------------

3 comments:

Kim said...

I'm sad that you had a bad experience and saw Fayette county in a bad light. I live in Fayette county, so I just had to comment. I am ashamed that some come here to see things that attract people from all over the world (as the gorge does) and find it in a mess. It is a shame. I hope you don't think we're all that way! :o) One thing that attracts some 'locals' is the ability to sit and drink beer, chill out and eat, throw their trash down and call it fishing. How redneck is that?

Jennifer said...

So....did you take Rt. 60 there or home? I bet you passed me ;)

Why the last road trip of the year?

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Excellent photos - looks like a good time. It's so peaceful out there.