Thursday, November 29, 2007

Middle C


I just spent a half an hour practicing the trumpet.
I don't PLAY trumpet.
I don't know how to get through to this kid. He goes in to practice and plays all the notes the same, puts rests in where they don't belong, and doesn't pay attention to the counts at all. Fine, he's 8, I get that. But he thinks he's the next Dizzy Gillespie. It sounds like solid gold to him. I taped him and played it back and he thought that was the best thing ever and was doubly impressed with himself.

So I played it 5 times and then I had him play it 5 times.
Fail.
Well, I actually played it but kinda flunked out on middle c. It didn't matter what I did I couldn't get a C out. It reads from G to C and they are the same fingering but different embouchure. I don't know what to tell him.
After 30 minutes of practicing Jingle Bells, I think I'll hear it in my sleep.

We're done with school for the day (YIPPEE!!). Yesterday school drug on forever and ever and ever. It was one of those days where I was pretty sure that I had ruined the kid's lives irrevocably. This morning I got up really flippin early because my shoulder (again,, I know.) was KILLING me. So I got up, knitted a little, surfed around a little, and knitted a little more. Then I was so so so so tired so I laid back down.
I woke up to T2 saying "help me with math!"
Sweet. They had done everything I didn't have to explain to them! I've yet to check T2's grammar assignment tho,, we could be redoing a lesson, as he does most days. How is it,, 30 lessons into Easy Grammar he still doesn't get it?
Example-
A statement tells something.
A question asks something.
A command tells you to do something.
What type of sentence is the following?
Give this to your sister.
T2 writes-
Give this to your sister
(puncuation left off intentionally by me)
Wha?
This is why he gets to do it over most days. If he can do it right the second time why will he not make an effort to do it right the first time?!??!?? It's infuriating,, really.
Now I really must get a roast in the oven and we really must clean this house. Time to get our aprons on!

1 comment:

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

yeah, sorry about the Jingle bells. You're right he's not getting it, but he 's trying, and I can't fault him for that...