Thursday, September 27, 2007

Today's Field Trip


I intended on writing about our field trip earlier but I spent so much time putting the video together that I ran out of time. Now, everyone is asleep and I have the house to myself.
The site was easy enough to find, although initially I was a bit leary of traveling through some one's side lawn and around the back of a power station! I was sure that I was going the wrong way but I chalked it up to adventure and pressed on. What's the worst that could happen? (don't answer that!) The road eventually opened up into a field with homes and barns (relief!).

There were quite a few school groups there but there were enough stations that we could all stay spaced out nicely. The weather threatened all day but never poured on us.

The guy to the left was very knowledgeable and interesting. He explained how he makes and uses Revolutionary War Rifles and Muskets. We learned why a musket is different than a rifle (I didn't know! )



The Indian reenactor was probably the most well read, knowledgeable history buff I've ever spoken to. I could have listen to him tell us about Indian culture in the 1700s all day. SERIOUSLY. I have never even given much thought to Native American culture and history until today. To hear him explain the way it really was, was completely fascinating. Maybe we can do a little study of Native American heritage in November leading up to Thanksgiving!

The Story of Mary Draper Ingalls is also really inspiring. According to the family account, she went on to start a new life after her captivity with the Shawnee. I wonder if she was ever "right" again? I mean, I'd need some serious medication. It's amazing to me how strong the pioneer people were. All the hardships and none of the drug rehabs! LOL

It was a great field trip. I really enjoyed it! Completely worth the $9.oo we paid. (save the $10.00 I ended up shelling out for wooden muskets! )

No comments: