Friday, March 16, 2007

Marmet Lock and Dam

Today we traveled up to the Marmet Lock and Dam to have one of the home school daddies explain to us how a lock and dam works. It was very interesting despite the horrible rain. They are building a bigger, better lock so longer barges can go through all at once so he drove us down inside the lock! It was really cool. I cannot believe that I forgot my camera! I found an ariel shot of where we were today though.


The area on the right where the parking lot is, is now gone. That's where we were. It's completely dug out with cauffer walls (what keeps the water back) all around. He also taught us about what the Corp of Engineers calls mitigating. It means doing things for the environment. Creating wetlands and naturalized areas. It was a good lesson.
After that we went onto our main objective! Kanahwa City Yarn Company! I got some Trekking XXL and some Wildfoote. I'm a sucker for sock yarn!
Now I'm tired, really tired. I didn't sleep at all last night! I'm going to grab a 15-20 minute nap and start dinner!
Good eve all!

No comments: