Thursday, March 27, 2008

Blueberries

I want to plant blueberry bushes. I've been reading up on them all day!

Here are my Pros.

  • Blueberries are expensive, bushes are not


  • Blueberry bushes are ornamental as well as fruit bearing


  • Blueberry bushes like damp well drained soil (did someone say damp soil?!)


  • Once established, blueberry bushes take little or no work


  • Blueberry bushes are prolific producers.


  • Blueberry bushes are mostly disease resistant, aphids being their main nemesis.


  • Blueberry bushes are "low feeders" which mean they don't really need anything other than some acidic soil and leaf litter.


  • Blueberries are YUMMY.

Here are my Cons.

  • You should really wait until it's third season to harvest.


  • You should really pluck all of the flowers off in it's first season to promote root production


  • High shrub varieties can grow to 6ft high. (I don't care about this)


  • Family and friends will soon tire of everything you cook having blueberries in it.


I think the pros have it don't you?

--------------------------------------------------

I wonder if they have Blueberry Wine in the wine of the month club ?

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Go for it!!
We've been discussing planting some watermelons. But we really don't have the space to grow anything!!

Blonde Goddess said...

I am a HUGE blueberry fan...but of course growing up in Maine might have had a little to do with that... *wink*

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Hey, did you get the same Nursery Bargains mailer I did today? (autumnridgenursery.com) They have blueberries featured at the top of the front page.

Anonymous said...

We got some strawberry plants last year, but we never planted them. :( I reeeeeeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy wanna plant some berry bushes!!!!!!

:)

Nice music, very easy on the ears :)

Stephanie Appleton said...

oh I love love love blueberries. They are at the top of the list when we get our little orchard spot ready!

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

Blueberries are our list of things that will be at the farm someday, we are getting closer...