Wednesday, March 12, 2008

school update


Schooling is coming along fine. I guess.
Math is coming along wonderfully for both boys. I wish everything was as easy as math. Math is black and white. Math is a puzzle. I can DO puzzles!
Grammar is coming along nicely now that we've started using Daily Grams and Easy Grammar. Wonderful programs, we'll use those from now on, that's for SURE!!
T1- Vocabulary. Giant forehead smack. He had to tell me what surly and agile meant today. He said he'd never heard either of those words in his whole life. Perhaps he hasn't but I was using them in sentences and there was enough context clues to figure it out. All I can figure is that we need to read aloud more.
T2- Spelling. How many times have I complained about this? The child makes absolutely NO connection between the sounds of letters and how words are constructed! I mean,, I'm no spelling bee champion but 9/10 you can figure out what I was TRYING to spell. Not so much with T2. It's ATROCIOUS. We've been over the phonics and spelling rules until we're blue in the face. No matter,, he refuses to apply them.
He's smarter than me you know,,, he doesn't need me to tell him anything.
He may have issues with authority (I wouldn't have any clue where he gets that from! har har) but he'll never get anywhere if he doesn't know how to spell his own name. That's a stretch, but he did misspell his last name the other day. No lie.
UGH!! Some days I fell like I'm going to need drug rehab!, or at least take up drinking!laughing
That can't be right though. I have so much patience and my kids are just angels! Oh PUUUH- LLLEEEZE.
We went on a nature hike yesterday and didn't find jack squat. The waters were too muddy, it was too cold, and nothing was stirring. It stunk. It was a beautiful day to just get out and get some excersize though! The picture at the top was taken yesterday. I thought it was pretty.
Today was pretty too but we didn't do much other than schoolwork. It's sunny but still quite chilly.
Be sure and check out my post on Real ID (below) "This is, I say, the time for all good men not to go to the aid of their party, but to come to the aid of their country." Eugene J. McCarthy

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've been wondering where you were. ;0)
We're almost done with our curriculum for the year!! DD has about 40-50 pages of spelling left, with TWO tests.
Then ds is down to 4 subjects, will be down to 3 next Friday, and 2 by Monday the 24th. I hope to be done by the end of April so once we test we can be DONE!!

Neurotic Atty said...

If this spelling thing doesn't pan out for T2, he can always go to work at the Funny Bone. They donated a gift certificate for "Thrity Dollors" to the Junior League's Monte Carlo Night. (I wish I was kidding.)

Stephanie Appleton said...

That is a great shot. Spelling is a battle around here too!

Gale said...

Love the music. I am rocking out in an old lady type of way.....