Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

No one asked but I'm gonna give it to you anyway!
Here's my time tested and kid approved (that's a small miracle!) Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe!
1. Carve those pumpkins!
2. Pick out all the seeds but don't be too anal about it, the bits of pumpkin make it yummy! I give mine a quick rinse but it's acceptable not to rinse them too. I have kids helping me,, I RINSE!


3. This formula isn't exact but for every 1/2 cup of seeds add 2 cups of water to boil in a sauce pan. I had to do 4 sauce pans! We had a lot of seeds this year. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
4. While your seeds are boiling, spray your cookie sheets (I used stones) with olive oil spray or butter flavored spray. I use olive oil. YUMMY. Then liberally sprinkle each tray with coarse salt. After you've done that, sparingly sprinkle each sheet with Lawry's Seasoned Salt. (What? you don't have any? For shame!) You may also substitute any flavoring you like here. Cajun is good and some people even like pumpkin pie spice. It's up to you!
5. Drain your seeds. Spread on the pans. Stir them around a bit to get all that seasoning all over your seeds. The only reason you season the pan instead of the seeds is because it's very very easy to OVER salt these. Seasoning the pan helps you keep an eye on just how much you're using.

*note* the Sam Adams Octoberfest is not required for the recipe but it was a nice compliment to the finished snack!
6. Place your seeds on the TOP shelf of your pre-heated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Check on them,, stir them around. If they appear dry and just slightly brown they're done. If they're slimy,, pop them back in for another 5-10 minutes or so.

7. EAT!

Here are some pumpkin seed eating facts

1. Some types of pumpkin seeds have less husk than others.

2. You can eat the whole seed, husk and all. Don’t worry.

3. 50 grams of seeds has 5 grams of dietary fiber. That will keep you regular!

4. Pumpkin seeds are also said to be good for Gout, Prostate Health and are supposedly an aphrodisiac.

5. Both German and Bulgarian folk medicines say that eating pumpkin seeds prevents impotence.

6. Roasted pumpkin seeds will keep for about a week in the fridge.

7. This won't reduce your premium on your term life insurance but it couldn't hurt huh?

2 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

yum. I've never boiled them first. Have to try that next time.

Jenny said...

Interesting! I've never boiled them first either. What I do is to soak them for a day or two in brine and then that keeps them from getting too salty. They can only absorb so much salt water.

I think I'll make a couple batches this year. Some spicy, some plain, and maybe some with that pumpkin pie spice! And I'll have to try boiling some first.

One last comment... ours never last long enough to find the shelf life, lol!! They are kept on the counter and gone in a day or two, max! ;)