Wednesday, October 17, 2007

'Tater noob.

I feel like such a moron.
The Saturday before Mother's day this past spring, the husband and I traveled up to Bob's Greenhouse in Mason Co. to get big basket's of flowers for our moms. While we were there, I picked up a few little decorative (so I thought) sweet potato sprigs wrapped in a wet paper towel. They were like $1.00 for 10. Cool! Ground cover!
They grew and grew as sweet potato vine will do. They were pretty but the leaves have faded away and there was nothing left but a skeletal vines so I start pulling them up. What's this?A sweet potato?I start digging more, there's another, and another, and another!Why did I have it in my head that decorative sweet potato vine didn't produce sweet potatoes?


Let me ask all of you out there in the blogosphere this.....
Can I save the tiny ones to plant next year?

2 comments:

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

If they're only $1.00 for ten, I'd just buy new next year. If it were me, anything I saved would be lost by the spring!

Celestial Freak said...

I agree with the other comment. If they're so cheap just get another bunch later. What a neat thing though. I would so be making sweet potato fries if I found that in my garden! I might just try growing some in the spring too. I was going to this last spring but my grandma talked me out of it. She wanted me to work on flowers first. Since she was paying for my garden needs I wasn't going to argue.